Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

So today, I made an important phone call to Wagner College- one of the most beautiful schools in Staten Island, NY. See the reason I made this phone call is because I was conflicted in my career choice to either become an occupational therapist or a physician assistant.
The reason I question my career route is because all my life I have been adamant about healing people through internal medicine. Who knew I would fall into the route of treating patients thru external, physical healing. I kept asking myself, is that what I want to do for the rest of my life, and will I be happy doing it? I really thought to myself that "No, Sharon you need to focus on internal medicine" but heading to the PA route is a little more strenuous. How so? Well, if you know me, you know that the only science I absolutely HATE with a passion is CHEMISTRY. I can handle physics, biology, anatomy, and physiology.. but PA pre- reqs are all about CHEM, OCHEM, BIOCHEM.. you see the problem here? If I am unable to handle or I think i'm unable to handle those classes, maybe internal medicine really isn't the right path for me. I keep thinking about my competitors and people just like me heading in that direction, and HOW much better they are than I AM. They know the ins and outs of chemistry and can absorb the material just like that. *sigh* Thoughts like that make me REALISTIC and I need to learn how to accept my strength and weaknesses.

Therefore, I created a roadmap today in my room. I plastered on paper all over my wall so I can create this elaborate plan. What did I do? I listed my three options: 1) PA 2) OT 3) Dietician
then I mapped out how I would get into those schools. PA requiring about 8 more science classes, OT 3 more left, and Dietician- 8 more. I automatically crossed out dietician just because a PA consists of knowing the way the body works in any circumstance and if I'm going to take the same amount of pre- reqs I might as well head towards a PA route. Ok next was to look at my options between OT and PA. PA route consists of having 1000 hrs of WORK with direct patient care, 8 additional science classes- most of them being chemistry related, and third work with an actual physician assistant. ALL WHICH I LACK making me lose another 2 yrs of NOT being in school. It seems like PA had a lot more CONs than PROs. But then I was left with OT- yes, if I don't tell you why I kept it on the list then it will surely look like I have settled which is not the case. The reason I feel like OT may be the best path for me is because 1) I only have 2 more classes to take, 2) I work directly with an occupational therapist 3) I'll be able to apply this year 4) I will be able to utilize 2011 with becoming an EMT or taking additional classes of my choice- like graphic design etc. 5) because although from the outside.. OT looks like it is focused on ONLY physical healing- they actually need to know a lot about internal medicine in order to TREAT patients properly (with little chemistry involved, lol). All in all, OT really is holistic- but I just never saw it that way before. Phew so hopefully I have made the correct... and FINAL decision. All in all, I think I will try to apply to Wagner's PA program where they will help me finish my pre- reqs. Something I can think about- although they told me its super competitive for people with bachelors. Hm..

So there it is.. I'm going to stay focused and ON TRACK!

1 comment: